What do I do if I have a gas problem?

If you smell gas:

  • Call Cadet Gas on 0800 111 999 (24 hours) immediately from a nearby property (don't use a landline or mobile phone in the affected property)
  • Open all doors and windows
  • Turn the gas off at the meter (unless the meter is located in the cellar/basement)
  • Put out cigarettes and don't use anything with a naked flame
  • Don't use electrical equipment
  • Don't touch light switches – they might cause a spark


Gas safety


If your carbon-monoxide detector sounds or changes colour:

  • Turn off gas appliances
  • Leave the building
  • contact Cadet Gas urgently

According to the Health and Safety Executive, each year around seven people die from carbon-monoxide poisoning, caused by gas appliances or flues which have not been properly fitted or maintained. Click on the button below for more information on how to recognise carbon-monoxide poisoning and how to keep safe.


Carbon-monoxide poisoning


Our responsibilities

As your landlord, we have a responsibility to: 

  • Carry out an annual gas safety check of the gas appliances in your home that we have provided for heating and hot water. 
  • Make sure that installation pipework, appliances and where applicable, chimney systems are checked for safety at intervals of not more than 12 months.
  • Ensure that your property is fitted with a carbon-monoxide alarm
  • Have all installation, maintenance and safety checks carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. 
  • Keep a record of each safety check for at least two years. 
  • Issue a copy of the latest safety check record to existing tenants within 28 days of the check being completed, or to any new tenant before they move in.

We will arrange an appointment with you at a convenient time and issue a gas-safety certificate to confirm that we have carried out the check.  

We do not service your own appliances.  However, we will carry out a visual inspection and if they are found to be unsafe we will ask your permission to disconnect. If you refuse Cadent Gas will be notified and they will potentially disconnect and charge you a fee. 

If you want a copy of your certificate please email compliance@sbhg.co.uk


Your responsibilities

  • You are responsible for making sure that the appliances you have fitted, such as gas fires and cookers are checked annually by a qualified gas engineer. If you remove one of your own gas appliances you must provide us with evidence this was completed by a Gas Safe registered engineer. 
  • Keep communal gas cupboards clear of personal belongings and refuse so that these can be safely accessed in an emergency.  
  • Gates securing communal areas are only permitted if all residents have a key.  
  • Blocking access to meters and emergency control valves is extremely dangerous. 
  • Ensure gas meters and electric meters are in credit before an annual gas safety check.  This reduces the amount of time we spend on wasted visits and helps us provide a better service.
  • Regularly check that your carbon-monoxide alarm is working by pressing the test button.


You must allow us access to complete safety checks

  • Please respond immediately to any letters and calls regarding gas safety checks.
  • If you fail to do so, we will take legal action to gain access. You will be liable for court costs. 
  • If we use force to access to your home you will be recharged for the change of locks.

Regular refusal to grant access for gas safety checks could result in you losing your home.

About Shepherds Bush Housing Group

About Shepherds Bush Housing Association

Part of The Guinness Partnership, we have more than 5000 homes, throughout nine boroughs in west London

Find out more About Us