Financial support (COVID-19) | News

  1. Contrast:
  2. ROKTalk

Social Heart, Business Head, Local Impact

New COVID restrictions take effect from Monday 13th December. For the most part, our services will remain unaffected, our customer and repairs teams will be working as usual. However, due to the amended restrictions more of us are having to work from home. This means that customers who would like to meet with us in person in the office must book an appointment in advance.

Financial support (COVID-19)

Financial support

We know this is a difficult time and there will be financial worries for some residents.

We encourage residents who may be struggling with finances, lost their job or are unable to make regular payments to contact us as soon as possible or as soon as their circumstances change. Our Income Team is providing telephone appointments for advice and support. Please email or call 0208 996 8874.

If you would like to speak to Debt & Welfare team about money management and welfare support, please call 0208 996 8900.


How we can help

1) Rent re-payment plan 

Please contact our Income Team or Debt & Welfare Team if you are struggling to pay your weekly/monthly rent. We can create short or long term repayments plan that suit your personal circumstances. Please call 0208 996 8874 Monday to Friday 9-5pm.


2) Debt and benefit advice 

We can help your through free support, advice and assistance, we help residents who feel they might be at risk of getting into debt and with making claims for any benefits.


3) Frozen management fee 

We have frozen our management fee for shared owners (also called leaseholders). If any estate or services for communal facilities need to be reduced due to Government restrictions, this will result in service charges being reduced. 


4) 'Rent holidays' and 'mortgage holidays'

You may have read about 'rent holidays' and ‘mortgage holidays’. We need to continue to collect rent payments as usual, in accordance with your lease or tenancy agreement. We are ready to support and work with you if you are worried about making rent or mortgage payments, or are unable to do so.

If you have an outstanding mortgage on your property, you may be eligible for a ‘mortgage holiday’ subject to your mortgage lender’s criteria. Mortgage holidays are not usually waivers of money owed but are deferred payment arrangements. Please contact your mortgage provider about this.


5) Priority and non-priority debts 

If you have any concerns about your finances or you’re unable to maintain priority and non-priority debts - such as credit cards or utility bills - please contact us.


6) Private Lettings Tenants

Your SBHA tenancy is exempt from Universal Credit. So, if your income has changed and you need to make a claim for benefits, do not make a claim for Universal Credit. Instead, please email for assistance.


Useful information

Self-employed government grants 

-employed workers will be able to receive an amount equivalent to 80% of their monthly average income. This is up to £2,500 per month. Learn more here about the grants here.


Housing Benefit

If you have a partial claim for Housing Benefit, please notify your Local Authority of the changes in circumstances for your Housing Benefit payment to keep them updated.


Universal Credit

If you receive Universal Credit, please enter a note in your journal stating the changes in your circumstances. If you do not have access to Universal Credit online please call 0800 328 5644.

If you are unable to pay your rent or household bills, we can help you make an urgent claim for Universal Credit. Learn more about Universal Credit and how to make a claim here.


Statutory Sick Pay 

If you have contracted Coronavirus and are self-isolating, you can make a claim for Statutory Sick Pay. Your claim for Statutory Sick Pay will begin the day you make the claim. You will be awarded £94.25 per week for the next 28 weeks.  


What to do if you’ve lost your job or are on a zero hours contract 

If you have lost your job or are on a zero hours contract, you can apply for Universal Credit or the Employment Support Allowance. Learn more about the Government's Employment Support Allowance here.


Job retention scheme

The government has introduced support through the Job Retention Scheme. Please visit the website for a list of services and how to apply.



Use the Monday Advice Service Budget Calculator to assist with budgeting. Learn more here:


CV assistance

If you need help creating or updating your CV, there are a range of services available on the internet to help you update your skills and training.




Our physical health and mental health has never been more important. It’s crucial that you reach out for help if you are struggling. It’s also important that you check in on your family, friends and colleagues during this time. If you are struggling with mental health, please contact:

1) Your GP

Talking to your GP about mental health

2) Your employer

Some employers offer a Counselling service as part of their scheme to support staff mental health. Check if your employer offers this service.

3) Mental health charities.

A list of mental health charities can be found here:

4) Samaritans

If you are worried about your mental health or are considering taking your own life call 116 123 or email .

We have placed cookies on your computer to help make this website better. You can at any time read our cookie policy. Otherwise, we will assume that you're OK to continue.

Change cookie settings: