Change in circumstances? Tell Housing Benefit and us!

If your circumstances change Housing Benefit need to know as soon as possible. These changes could include:-

» Changes to your income (wages, benefits, tax credits, pension or any other income)

» Changes in the amount of savings that you have
» Changes to your household if anyone leaves or joins your household
» Changes to the income of other people in your household
» If you move or have to live away from home for any reason, become a student, go into hospital or prison.

This is not a complete list. If you are unsure please contact your local Housing Benefit office. They will be able to tell you if your change will affect your Housing Benefit.

You must also inform your us so we can update your rent account. You can contact us on 020 8996 4200.

Any delay in telling the Housing and Council Tax Benefit Division about changes in circumstances may result in you being paid too much Housing Benefit. If the council pays you too much, you must pay this back.

Housing Benefit, who can get it?

Housing Benefit is paid to people on a low income in rented accommodation to help cover housing costs.

You should be able to claim Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you are claiming benefits (for example Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support), if you are on Pension Credits, or if you work but your income is low.

How much help you are entitled to depends on: your income and savings, who lives with you, the ages of everyone in the property, the income for each family member and the amount of rent you have to pay.

Who isn't eligible? You can't usually get Housing Benefit if:

» you have savings of over £16,000, unless you are getting the 'guarantee credit' of pension credit;
» you live in the home of a close relative
» you're a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children); or
» you're an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK.

Housing Benefit cannot pay for some service charges, such as heating or water rates.