How is my data used?
Under UK data protection law, you have the right to see any information we hold about you in our records although there are a few exceptions. If you would like to see your records, you can contact our data protection officer via this form.
All information we have about our customers is confidential. Usually we will not give your details to anyone without your permission. There are a few exceptions to this, where strict guidelines apply. For example, we may share information with authorities and agencies (such as the police or local authorities) to:
- help prevent and detect fraud;
- support local strategies to reduce crime and disorder;
- help prevent and detect crime; and
- meet other legal obligations.
We will provide limited information to Housing Benefit offices and the Department for Work and Pensions to help you if you are claiming benefits. We will also provide limited information to gas and electricity providers. We will give your details to other members of staff and our contractors only when this is necessary to provide a service to you. We treat it very seriously if someone fails to keep your details confidential. You should make a complaint if you feel we have not respected your privacy using the following email Data.Protection@sbhg.co.uk
When we ask you for personal information, we promise to:
- make sure you know why we need the information;
- only ask for what we need, and not to collect information that is not relevant;
- protect your information and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t;
- let you know if we share your information with other organisations, to achieve better public services;
- make sure we don’t keep your information longer than necessary; and
- not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information; and
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as to your household details. This way we can ensure we are able to meet your needs and can help you access any support you may require.