Carbon monoxide safety

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood do not burn fully. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated household appliances, such as cookers, heaters and central heating boilers.

It is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see, taste or smell it. You are at risk of carbon-monoxide poisoning if you do not have your appliances regularly serviced to make sure they are safe. It is recommended that you have an audible carbon monoxide alarm installed as this will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.

 

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

The six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

1) Headaches

2) Dizziness

3) Breathlessness

4) Nausea

5) Collapse

6) Loss of consciousness.

 

Ways to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home:

»Regularly check the carbon monoxide alarm we have fitted in your home.

»Ensure the alarm's ventilation holes or air bricks are unblocked.

»Do not sleep in a room with an open fireplace or gas fire.

»Do not put portable gas heaters in hallways or corridors.