Can I make improvements or alterations to my property?

You may make improvements, but you must get our written permission beforehand. Alterations include but are not limited to things like replacing the flooring. We will usually give you our permission if you can evidence that the work will be completed to a good standard, meet building regulations and will not damage the structure of the property.

If you are a lifetime assured or secure tenant you may have the right to claim compensation for improvements (but only if written permission has been given).

The amount will depend on the time between you making the improvements and claiming compensation and this will only be payable when you leave the property.

The following improvements have a ‘lifespan’. This means that they may not work as effectively after this time, so you may want to replace them. We will only pay compensation for the remaining period of the lifespan of the improvement.


Lifespan of 40 years (unless required earlier)

  • Loft insulation
  • Cavity-wall insulation
  • Double-glazing or secondary glazing or replacing other outside windows.
  • Fitting a new bath or shower, wash-hand basin and toilet
  • External doors
  • Heating central heating distribution


Lifespan of 30 years (unless required earlier)

  • Fitting of new Kitchen
  • Electrical systems
  • Heating other


Lifespan of 10 to 15 years (unless required earlier)

  • New wiring, switches, plugs and electrical fittings (including smoke detectors).
  • New heating systems or appliances (such as central heating or other fixed heating appliances)
  • New water-heating system
  • Replacing insulation pipes, water tank or cylinder
  • Anything which improves security (but not burglar alarms, steel security doors and window bars)
  • Installing thermostatic radiator valves
About Shepherds Bush Housing Group

About Shepherds Bush Housing Association

Part of The Guinness Partnership, we have more than 5000 homes, throughout nine boroughs in west London

Find out more About Us