Aids and adaptations

If you or someone in your family has a disability or illness, the design of your home and the fittings in it can often be adapted to help.

We can help with adapting your home if, for example, you find it difficult to:

» get in and out of your home
» use the kitchen and bathroom
» use taps, heating controls, window latches and door handles.

The first stage would be for you to talk to one of our housing advisors by phoning 020 8996 4200. They can advise you of how to apply as we need a referral from an occupational therapist. We can help you to set this up.

Help with major adaptation costs

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are available for major adaptations. Whilst DFGs are a mandatory grant, all applicants are means-tested using criteria that is set by central government and applied nationally. We can help check your eligibility by undertaking a financial assessment (Preliminary Test of Resources) with you. Additionally, to be eligible for a DFG you will need to be assessed by a qualified occupational therapist to ascertain your needs.